Monday, September 22, 2014

First week in Carson City


September 22, 2014
A LOT has happened this week. 
Tuesday i had to be at the airport at 4:30 am.  I know the Lord blesses his missionaries, because my alarm didn't go off, but I woke up at 4:20 and got ready in time to catch the bus, and didn't miss my travel group.  After arriving in the Reno airport, with all its slot machines, we met our mission president and his wife.  They are super nice.  after being in meetings all day I got my companion, and my area assigned.  My companion's name is Hermana Simmons.  She's awesome.  then. 2/3rds of our mission (how many people were at transfer day.  president said that's the most people of the mission he's ever had together, usually all the far away town have their missionaries shipped out to them) went out to dinner.  There was a couple there who asked what church we were all from.  The elders talked to them, since I was too excited to even say anything.  SOMEONE WAS ASKING QUESTIONS!! :D  I live at a member's house, and they are super nice.
Wednesday started the hard work.  We cover a large area, so we drive, then walk around neighborhoods.  (don't worry dad, my bike is locked up safe at the house).  We went around to a lot of our investigators, introducing me to them.  We had dinner at a member's house, and they fed us SO MUCH FOOD.  it was crazy.  At one point, I think I got dehydrated.  It wasn't that hot, but it is a lot dryer here than in the MTC.  I was fine though.  I also found out that the one Elder in my MTC district who was also going to Reno, is not only in my zone, he's in my district! :D  someone I know!  YAY!  overall it was a good day.
Thursday was another day.  we had our weekly planning session.  Then we taught one of our progressing investigators.  We even extended a commitment to be baptized! and he really wants to be baptized.
Friday there was a "train the New missionary" meeting in at the mission home.  then we had lunch.  One of the ladies at the restaurant mentioned my name tag, and I gave her a little passalong card with our phone number on it.  I probably should learn how to street contact.  we didn't do much of that in the MTC.  Later we had a lesson with an investigator and his two kids.  the little boy, Ivan, I can tell, wants to be baptized.  he just doesn't know it yet.  he reads the BoM at school while waiting for his mom to pick him up.  he is so cute!  he reminds me of Eric.
Saturday was a little harder by comparison to my easy first week.  we went to morning program, at the church (which, is walking distance away from where we live)  and exercised with some of our zone. only problem is, morning program starts at 6 am.  gross.  it was a lot of fun though, and I would love to go again.  I just need to get usec to getting up that early.  we went around to a lot of our investigators again, but didn't really teach a lot of people, which is why today was harder.  but we had stake conference, and that was really cool.  I was so tired by the end of the day though.
Sunday we had stake conference.  there was a special meeting for all missionaries, and their investigators/CREMAS (conversos recentes, menos activas) turns out the general authority was in fact a convert.  it was Elder Lawrence.  one of Elders corado/arellano's investigators came, and sat on the other end of the room from them.  elder corado tried to get hermana simmons to translate for him, since he didn't speak English.  I speak better Spanish than her (just a little bit) so she told me to do it.  I translated about half the meeting.  I know the Lord was helping me because there is no way I could have done that by myself.  we had several investigators come to church.  filemon, who we committed to baptism, and 2 little girls, Diana and Helen.  they are amazing at reading the BoM  we read 1 Nephi 4 with them, and the next day we read 1 Nephi 9 and 10.  we had a HUGE meal with the Lopez family.  apparently they always feed us WAY too much.  and then some.  they are super fun though.  then we talked to almost all of our investigators, and went home.
its been a great week.  I cant wait for the next one! :D

Hermana Riddle

No comments:

Post a Comment